The 500e Abarth - All Electric - Sneak Peak!
Saturday 2 January 2021
Car Crime / Theft and How To Prevent It
We can all agree 2020 wasn't the best year; Lockdowns, social distancing, never-ending rules and to top it all off... Car theft is on the rise. Lockdown’s have turned drive- ways into window shopping opportunities for car thieves and Steve Barrett, head of Direct Line, has advised purchasing anti-theft equipment to protect your car (Robinson, J, Wright J). 65% of all vehicles are stolen from the owner’s address … and the figure rises to 71% for premium vehicles (Orry, J, 2020,)
Car theft is also becoming a lot more high tech, with criminals purchasing devices that pick up signals from your car fob that tricks your car into believing the key fob is present. This allows them to steal keyless cars in seconds… just by opening the doors. BMW’s, Mercedes and Range Rovers are all top of the list for targeting (Walne, T, 2020)
So… what can you do to protect your car(s)? (Orry, J, 2020)
- Lock Your Car!
This may be the most obvious method… but it’s easily forgotten. Car alarms can sometimes be missed, and it can be hard to hear if your alarm has even gone off! Make sure you double check your car is locked.
Reasons why Adding one of our integrated Car Cover Alarms into a Car Cover is a Great Idea...
1) Many older classic cars can be devalued by adding an after market alarm which would involve drilling and making holes in the interior.
2) Works against Keyless Entry Theft. Even if the thieves clone your Fob, or break in and steal your keys to unlock the car, the cover needs to be removed first and, as such the alarm will activate.
3) Lock Up Garages / Storage Facilities, again when your car is locked away, give your self an fighting chance against thieves so you dont one day, turn up at your garage and the door is open and car gone.
4) The Cover Itself will keep prying eyes away from potential targeting, especially if stolen to order.
5) Prevent someone peeking under the car, they certainly wont expect there to be an alarm, this element of surprise if what will work in your favour.
Old Skool Security Tech
Steering locks can be another effective way to deter criminal, however they aren’t thief-proof and can be easily broken. The Metropolitan police recommend other methods such as alarms and security devices. (Metropolitan Police, 2020), Handbrake Locks and Wheel Clamps.
- Move your keys
I know how easy it is to come home after a busy day and throw your keys into the abyss, leave them in a pocket, or hang them on the nearest peg. But Car Key Burglaries are very real. Thieves will break into a home primarily to steal the keys to a car. One of the best ways this can be avoided is hiding your keys. Take them upstairs, put them in a tin and away from any windows!
A Faraday bag will also block a Keyless Fob from transmitting a poling signal to your car that can be intercepted and cloned by a third party.
- Metropolitan Police, 2020, Is your vehicle attracting thieves, (date last accessed 23.12.2020) Available at: https://www.met.police.uk/cp/crime-prevention/theft-of-a-vehicle/vehicle-attracting-thieves/
- Orry, J, 2020, Top Tips To Prevent Car Theft, Direct Line (date last accessed 21.12.2020) Available at: https://www.directline.com/car-cover/magazine/car-theft-prevention-tips
- Robinson, J, Wright J, Motor Theft Rockets by 60%..., 2020, Daily Mail Online, (date last accessed 20.12.2020) Available at : https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8244625/Car-theft-rockets-60-cent-parts-UK-motorists-face-greater-risk-despite-lockdown.html
- Walne, T, 2020, Car theft has risen by 50% in five years, This Is Money, (date last accessed 23.12.2020) Available at : https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-8630527/Car-theft-risen-50-five-years-vehicle-safe.html
Wednesday 25 March 2020
Custom made covers should be made and dispatched as usual, and our standard stock covers are still going out for deliveries as always.
Our couriers have assured us that they are still operating an extremely reliable service across their network and now adhere to a contact free delivery service.
This means that the courier will deliver your parcel to your door, leave it for you and not require a signature, so there should be no reason to be in direct contact with the driver and you are able to stay inside you home.
We are taking every precaution keep our staff, customers and suppliers as safe as possible, and are following the UK Governments guidelines. We will keep everyone updated if there are any further changes or developments.
Stay Safe and best wishes from all at Coveryourcar.
Saturday 28 December 2019
Wednesday 31 July 2019
Saturday 25 May 2019
But when it comes to inner linings on outdoor car covers, Soft, is bad. Why? Because anything soft will....
a) Attract and Hold micro dirt particles, small enough so you cant see them but large enough to mark a car over time and become impossible to remove completely.
b) Any damp and heavy air passing through the breathable fabric which would normally just settle on the car, then vent away once the temperature rises will in fact end up making the soft lining wet. And it will stay wet. Imagine a Wet sweatshirt made from fleecy material hanging on a washing line, once its wet, it will take days to dry out completely, if at all.
c) A Soft inner will inhibit the covers ability to breathe, especially if it has a Polyurathane outer. We have seen these type of covers with thick fleecy inners cause problems over the last 15 years which is why we dont sell them.
So, ideally the inner needs to be non woven, brushed or smooth and not fleecy in any way so dirt cant cling to it.
More importantly the fit of an outdoor cover needs to be extremely good, especially when the weather is bad. . Always go custom fit if you can.
Need anymore help or advise on your next Car Cover purchase? Call us on 01744 633985 or visit us at https://www.coveryourcar.co.uk
Sunday 17 March 2019
We looked carefully at 4x4s and in general vehicles that sit high above the ground. These vehicles always cause you a dilemma because you can cover the bodywork but conventional covers always tend to leave the wheels exposed and a huge area under the car where air can funnel and cause issues.
So having already sought to improve the ever popular Stormforce Cover, which we started to sell and where in fact the first company ever to sell this cover back in 2005, we decided to look at the 4x4 issue and seek to improve the conventional cover by enhancing the tension hemline skirt, making it deeper.
Add in that we also include a set of extra long, interconnecting over straps as standard and we feel you have one one the best cover solutions on the market for your 4x4.
Each ones comes with a 2 year comprehensive guarantee, XL Upgraded and bigger storage bag with extra options for Security Locking Kit and Car Cover Alarm to protect your investment.
Contact us for further information or advice and we will be happy to assist.